Posted: Monday 01 June 2009 22:50
After purchasing a flux pen from Maplin, we started the long job of tinning all the cells, front and back and the fitting the tabbing wire between the cells to join 36 together for each solar panel.
The photo below shows the rolls of tabbing wire, the flux pen and a pack of 50 cells
[more]The tabbing wire was cut into... read more
Posted: Thursday 28 May 2009 12:46
Charging System Upgrades
The existing charging system used a single battery and this was connected via the charge converter to the inverter and a 12v relay which switched the mains supply between the solar inverter power and normal mains electricity.
The disadvantage which this system was a 1-2 second delay between the inverter shutting down... read more
Posted: Sunday 24 May 2009 17:41
Using 6mm thick flat aluminum bar, we made four brackets which were attached to the chimneys either side of the house and between these, two lengths of 25mm x 4.2m square aluminum bar were fitted to act as supports for the solar panels.
The photo below shows the brackets fitted to the western end of the house.
The... read more
Posted: Tuesday 19 May 2009 23:14
Using 35mm square aluminum bar, we machined a slot into the bar and cut it into 30mm wide brackets which where drilled and tapped to take M5 bolts. Four of these brackets will be bolted to the panel base boards and this will allow the easy fitting and removal of the panels to the 25mm square tube which will be fitted across the roof.
The flat... read more
Posted: Sunday 10 May 2009 18:59
Two coats today of Dulux Trade Weathershield Preservative Basecoat to seal the wood, this needs 48 hours to dry and then the panels will be painted with exterior gloss and the glass ordered.
The photo below shows the panels after bring primed with two coats of wood Dulux Trade Weathershield Preservative Basecoat. (poor quality as it was taken... read more
Posted: Saturday 09 May 2009 22:00
After purchasing further solar cells from the USA via ebay, We are building four new weather proof outdoor solar panels which should supply around 320w which should be enough energy to run the household lighting circuit and all the low power appliances in the house including the computer networks, router and phone and small appliance chargers using.... read more
Posted: Friday 12 December 2008 21:58
The solar panel has has a pair of 60 amp wires which run from the apex of the roof to a first floor cupboard where the battery, charge converter / controller, inverter and relay switch box is situated.
The picture below shows the large red 60amp wires on the left which come from the panel to a pair of high current connection blocks and then... read more
Posted: Saturday 18 October 2008 23:07
After the sealant and paint had dried the mounting brackets were fitted to the back of the panel. The ridge tiles on the roof were then removed and the panel screwed to the main wooden beam across the middle of the roof. The panel initally suffered with some condensation due to the sudden tempature change but this soon vanished.
Under bright... read more
Posted: Monday 13 October 2008 19:38
After waiting a day for the painted baseboard to dry, I fitted the solar cells to the board today and soldered interconnecting wires to join them all together in series. Under artifical light the output from the panels was 13.5 volts and once the silicone sealant is dry I will be able to take the panel outdoors to try a test under sunlight!
Half... read more
Posted: Saturday 11 October 2008 20:25
After sourcing 50 solar cells from the USA via ebay, I am building a weather proof outdoor solar panel array which should supply enough energy to run the household lighting circuit.
Started work today on building the panel array using 10mm foamx (sourced from a local sign writer www.signimages.co.uk ) and using 2mm perspex and 8mm wooden square... read more